Happy Saturday! This week’s Ethical Business Spotlight features Hannah Anderson, Founder of Threepaws Gourmet! Read on to discover more about Hannah and her journey to create fabulous vegan dog treats your pups will love!
From the Founder: My name is Hannah Anderson and I reside in Milwaukee, Wisconsin with my husband and two children (2, 4). I am originally from Seattle, WA, am a lifelong vegan, and have had the pleasure of both interning at Farm Sanctuary (in upstate NY) and working as an Editor for VegNews magazine.
Let’s jump right into the interview!
1. What inspired you to grow Threepaws Gourmet into what it is today?
When I struggled to find dog treats that were both healthy and visually exciting, I thought, ‘why should artificial colors get all the fun when there’s a rainbow of dog-friendly superfoods?’. As saturated as the pet industry was, there was an opportunity to create some healthy competition. My mission here at Threepaws Gourmet has always been the same: to “Raise the “Bone” on Dog Treat Standards.” It’s always special for me to see how people choose us to help celebrate their pup’s most special occasions, but perhaps most importantly, to see how they can feel good about treating their pups year-round.
2. While developing fun dog bone flavors like Coconut Confetti Peanut Butter, Hickory Smoked Coconut Bacon, Strawberry Coconut Cream, and Coconut Carob Mint, your puppy Layla acted as “Chief Taste Tester” and “Crumb Control Officer.” If Layla, CTT & CCO of Threepaws Gourmet had to recommend just one flavor to a new doggo, which would it be and why?
My rescue pup Layla honestly loves them all … however, sales do tip in the direction of our Coconut Bacon Bones. 🙂
3. Your dog treats are organic and vegan, and are also free of corn, grain, gluten, and soy. Why was this important to you and did creating truly healthy, clean treats cause any issues while developing your recipes?
What began in my home kitchen is now handcrafted with love, passion, and compassion, by adults with special needs at a wonderful local organization called the Eisenhower Center. I feel it’s important for ethical business owners to make sure their values are reflected in as many aspects of their business as possible. For me, that means checking a whole lot of boxes … but I wouldn’t have it any other way. The only issue with meeting our high ingredient standards is a higher cost, but we will always be committed to providing our informed and passionate customer base with treats they can trust.
4. Every month, you donate a portion of your sales to a new charity as part of your “Threepaws for a Cause” campaign. What charity have your paired up with this month?
Unfortunately, COVID-19 put an abrupt halt to our much anticipated “Threepaws for A Cause” campaign. Gratefully, we were still able to donate over $1,000 from earlier this year. Giving back to charity is an important part of our purpose.
5. What’s next for Threepaws Gourmet?
Currently we’re securing a partnership with Chewy.com, are in talks with several storefront franchises, and would love to expand sales to Canada in the near future.
Thank you, Hannah, for participating in my Ethical Business Spotlight series and congratulations on all of your success! My dogs absolutely LOVE your treats and I love that they’re organic, vegan, grain-free and gluten-free!
Head on over to Instagram to win a bag of Threepaws Gourmet treats and stay tuned for my upcoming 2020 Vegan Holiday Gift Guide & Giveaway on Nov. 15!